Small "c" Canadian

http://reborn-by-design.com/if-project.html

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Chris Benoit

Like many people, I was a wrestling fan growing up, I had lost interest in the past three or four years, but when I saw this story among the headlines on ESPN.com, I was shocked.

I always enjoyed watching Chris Benoit wrestle, but was never his biggest fan, and never claimed to be. I never met him, or saw him compete live. That said, I'm saddened, but equally angered by the murder-suicide of himself, along with his wife and son.

Chris Benoit's death deserves to be covered as a news story, but nothing further. I'm sure in the coming weeks, and months we'll become better informed on the circumstances that led to this heinous crime, and I think its going to paint a portrait of Chris Benoit, and the entire wrestling industry that will be uncomfortable for many fans. But, thats too bad. The industry needs to face up to the disgusting realities that it faces, and stop acting as ostriches.

Chris Benoit, unfortunately, does not deserve a tribute show, or to be remembered positively.

UPDATED

I don't think I'll ever watch another Chris Benoit match. This might be explained scientifically, due to brain trauma, or some sort of mental problem that developed while he competed in the ring, but regardless, I have trouble expressing remorse, or forgiveness towards someone who kills his wife and child, and then takes his own life.

Its so mind boggling that someone could committ the crimes that Chris Benoit has committed, especially when everyone who knew him has always spoke so highly of him. He was respected by everyone in WWE, and by every fan who watched him compete. I pray that his ex-wife and two children who survive him, will be able to get through this incredibly difficult time.

My questions are the same as anyone else's. Why? Why did this happen? Why did a man, who seemed so humble, so polite, and so caring, to so many people decide to committ an act of such decadence and violence? I just don't know.

My heart to goes out to all who survive him, friends and family alike, but my forgiveness of Chris Benoit himself for these acts will have to be reserved for later. I just can't imagine that a normal, caring, loving human being could act in that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home